Friday, October 6, 2017

MUSIC APPRECIATION 101 - Part One: Movie Music

By Kristin Scheimer

Today’s “Kristin Rights” blog article will be a little bit of a departure… in the sense that you won’t hear me ranting… too much.    Enjoy!

I’ve recently started attending the symphony, something I did quite regularly as a child.  It’s so interesting to me the reactions I get when I tell people this.  I’ve been playfully called “bougie” (short for bourgeoisie).  I had one friend say they’d go to the symphony on those nights when they can’t fall asleep; best cure for insomnia.  Some people thought it was really cool, but not many expressed interest in joining me.

As I sit here listening to movie soundtracks on Pandora, I have to giggle a little.  “Classical Music” gets a bit of a bad rap, but it’s so much a part of everyone’s lives.  Most people just don’t think about it.

I absolutely guarantee you the movies we love so much wouldn’t move us nearly as much as they do without their soundtracks, which are made up of… what?  You guessed it:  Classical Music.

Who could imagine “E.T.” without this:




Or “Raiders of the Lost Ark”



















Or “Star Wars”























But enough about John Williams.

How about Danny Elfman’s “Edward Scissorhands” theme


Or Fritz Reiner’s “2001: A Space Odyssey”


Or Nino Roto’s “The Godfather”


















Or the iconic theme from "Star Trek" by Jerry Goldmsmith




Or the sweepingly romantic “Somewhere in Time”

without a little CLASSICAL piece of music called “Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini, Variation 18” by  Sergei Rachmaninoff.


or the main theme of the film by John Barry.


And speaking of sweepingly romantic, how about Max Steiner’s “Tara’s Theme” from “Gone with the Wind”



or Maurice Jarre’s “Lara’s Theme” from “Doctor Zhivago”.




Or the haunting melodies in James Horner's "Hymn to the Sea" from "Titanic"



And Howard Shore's "Lord of the Rings" theme.

and Rachel Portman's "Cider House Rules"



Or the heroically epic Elmer Bernstein’s “The Magnificent Seven”















THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

And Hans Zimmer's "Pirates of the Caribbean"


Or  the very dramatic piece playing over the death of  Sgt. Elias in “Platoon” which features another Classical piece “Adagio for Strings” by Samuel Barber.



















How about the frightening “Psycho” theme by Bernard Herrman



















or… back to the uber talented Mr. John Williams with his terrifying theme for “Jaws”.



















And just for fun, here are some of John Williams’ other great movie themes.  The man is nothing short of genius.

"Schindler’s List"























Would any of these films have the same impact without their Classical Music soundtracks?   I can assure you, they would not.   Try watching E.T. sour through the sky without his theme song accompanying him.  Is the shark really so frightening without the menacing theme by John Williams?  An effect, by the way, which he accomplishes with two notes. 

Music makes the movies. 

I had a fun experience when making my first short film, “Broken Child”.  I went out of town and left my composer to add music to the piece.  I was feeling pretty good about the shape in which I’d left the film, but when I saw it with the soundtrack he’d added, I got goose bumps.  It was as if I was seeing a whole new movie and one much more moving and dramatic than the one I’d left. 

Music is essential to movies.  In movies, before the technology had emerged that would allow actors to be recorded while acting, music and the expressions on actors’ faces were all that a film had to convey emotion. 

And listening to any of the movie themes I’ve listed above, don’t those themes automatically bring to mind not just the story of the film, but the joy, sorrow, fear and excitement, just from hearing the music?

How “bougie” or boring is Classical Music now?  (ok… that might have been a mini rant)

(PLEASE CONTINUE TO PART TWO)

No comments:

Post a Comment