Friday, October 6, 2017

STRAIGHT OUTTA THE THEATER

by Kristin Scheimer

This is just a quick article, because my rant was going to be too long for a Facebook status or Tweet!



I wish I could say this was a review of the film “Straight Outta Compton”, but it’s not.  Why, you might ask?  Because I went to see the movie, but was quickly booted outta the theater, along with at least 15 other people.  The AMC at Universal City Walk was so disorganized they had no sense of what was happening in their own theaters.

It’s not entirely their fault.  Whoever decided how many theaters should carry the film its opening weekend is also to blame.  The theater added an extra showing - so popular was this film -  that they ended up overselling or double selling, or who really knows.  All I know is, I’m happy I was able to contribute to the $50M+ this film made its opening weekend, but dammit, I really wanted to see it!   (I may write an actual review of the film when I am finally able to see it)



Here’s what I think happened.  Hollywood (I love you, Hollywood dear, but sometimes you’re kind of special) Hollywood, in its infinite wisdom, did not predict the appeal of this film.  Being that it was a film about those… you know… people of color, who could blame them?

I mean it’s not like there have been other examples of unexpected success (ahem) “Waiting to Exhale”, “Are We There Yet?”, “The Butler”, “Poetic Justice”… and many more, all #1 their opening weekend, but I digress.



However, it would seem someone knew this film would be a success.  I’ve seen an awful lot of posters and billboards for the film… oh wait… maybe that’s just in my neighborhood.


















I do applaud Hollywood in that she does seem to be opening her mind a bit to including more diversity (you know how I love that word – Read my previous blog article "WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED DIVERSITY?") However, can we please STOP being surprised when films about women, older people or people of color, which were expected to perform poorly, are huge successes? 


I think it’s time to change the business model, Hollywood.  Let’s stop thinking of these as films about a demographic and acknowledge that the quality and story of a film (my friends who DID get to see the film said it was great!) is what really matters.  So please, stop making films based on statistics and stick to the reason you were created as a mecca for creativity in the first place:  Making quality films about interesting stories and characters! 

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment